Nothing is better than a delicious fresh apple cake. This recipe brings out that extra special out of a good apple pie with the addition of homemade blackberry jam. Served simple bathing in a blackberry coulis topped with leftover berries and sprinkled powdered sugar. If it still has a little heat to it, it just slides down like the best bakes you’ve ever tasted. The cake is very simple to make, but my method of doing the batter might be a little messy. Nevertheless, this is the way to get the best result. You’ve got 50 minutes to clean the kitchen when the cake is baking to perfection. In the picture, I have used the leftover berries that I didn’t use inside the cake. It won’t be enough for all 20 pieces of cake you get. Then you need to make more blackberry jam.
Purple = Blackberry Jam Red = Apple blend Orange = Cake batter
|Few drops of vanilla|
|8-10 red apples|
|2 tbsp. cinnamon|
|4 tbsp. sugar|
|Few drops of vanilla|
|350g white flour|
|2 tsp. baking powder|
For the US measurements download recipe by clicking button down below
- Mix berries, sugar, and vanilla in a cooking pot. Heat up and stir until it’s boiling.
- Drain and separate the juice from the berries. Keep both parts.
- Peel and cut apples into apple boats. Cover apples with sugar and cinnamon. Blend, so it gets on every apple.
- Preheat the oven, so the cake is ready to go straight in when it’s time.
- Add sugar and cold diced butter. Mix this until it has a white color. (at least 5 minutes)
- Add a few drops of vanilla, and start by adding one egg.
- Start mixer at low speed. When the first egg is mixed, mix in add another. Repeat this with every egg.
- While mixer is running at high speed, sift in white flour.
- The batter is done, and you should pour batter into the cake form. I use a square that covers the whole baking plate. About 20x30cm.
- Spread the batter evenly, and add apples in 5 rows in the longest direction. Add berries in between the lines of apples.
- When this is finished, the cake should go straight into the preheated oven.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes before you cut the cake into squares and top with berries. Place in a deep plate and add the blackberry juice.
- Finish with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and sever right away!
Summary First of all an apple cake is delicious just by itself, but when adding blackberries and have it swimming in blackberry coulis still being warm. You'd get a 5 star rating every time!