ChefNorway’s Rolls Choice 12 øres
Oh I’ve eaten so many 12 øres in my life that it’s not fair to my body. But then again when your high school is next door to a good bakery that has 50% off sale often you kind of have to get one! It’s a southern recipe. Kristiansand is the only place you will find it, but there are similar variations in neighboring cities. 100 “øre” = 1 Norwegian Crown (NOK) and it has its name for over 50 years. Back then this roll only cost 12 øre, therefor the name 12 øres. It’s best eaten 30 min after it’s out of the oven. Great for lunch.
|1 kg. white flour|
|2 tbsp. cardamom|
|6 dl. milk|
|ChefNorway’s Homemade Vanilla Cream|
|1 egg + 2 tbsp. hot water|
- Start by melting butter in a small casserole pot.
- When melted add in the milk and heat up to approximately 37-40oC (100-110oF) + (2 minutes should do it)
- Add flour, cardamom, sugar and yeast to a mixer bowl.
- Pour in the butter and milk mixture.
- Use the “hook” tool and start the mixer at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Continue mixing at full speed for another 7 minutes.
- Add more flour if the dough gets too sticky.
- Split the dough into pieces of 175g (6.1 oz.) and roll them to round balls.
(There are several ways to make a roll and below I will give you direction to make one of the types. But you could always look for another one of my roll recipes and split the dough in 2 halves. Then add the extra ingredients of your choice!)
- Flatten each roll so it looks like a mini pizza.
- Place on a baking plate with a baking sheet under. I have room for 3-4 rolls.
- Mix 1 egg + 2 tbsp. hot water, and brush before you add vanilla cream.
- Add a circle of ChefNorway’s Homemade vanilla cream
- I like to sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and almonds.
- Let the rolls raise for about 10-15 minutes and bake them in the oven.
- Try to eat them within 2 hours, because they will lose their absolute freshness quickly!
Summary One of my favorites during lunch time at my high school years, became a holy goods when eating short time after going out of the oven at the bakery. Still today I cannot resist going by the baker when they have 12 Øres lunch sale.