ChefNorway’s Italian Pizza Roll
It’s 2016 and I’ve had to come up with something new and creative. I wanted to make the very best Italian pizza roll. Not the small boring ones, but a giant filled with cheese top to bottom.
Aged prosciutto ham, fresh herbs, tomatoes, mozzarella and a pizza dough made with nothing less than Italy’s own special pizza flour “tipo 0”.
I’m not sure if you can handle this much cheese and goodness, but I’ll for sure let you try it out!
|1 shot olive oil|
|5g fresh oregano (good handful)|
|25g fresh basil|
|½ red onion|
|½ yellow onion|
|1 can chopped tomato|
|130g tomato puree/paste|
|50g aged prosciutto ham|
|200g shredded mozzarella|
|600g “tipo 0” flour|
|25g fresh yeast|
|1 tsp. salt|
|1 shot olive oil (50 ml)|
|3.5 dl. water|
|100g shredded white/cheddar cheese*|
|1 slice/ball fresh mozzarella*|
For US measurements click this button.
- Start by adding olive oil and chopped onions to a medium hot pan.
- Then add in fresh cut oregano, a can of tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Let this sauce cook at medium heat for about 20 minutes. Make sure to stir now and then.
- Let’s make pizza dough while pizza sauce is cooking.
- Add flour, yeast salt, olive oil and hot tap water to a mixer bowl.
- Mix at low speed for 1 minute, then 4 minutes at maximum speed.
- When done mixing let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Take dough off the hook.
- Cut prosciutto ham into strips. (You could use bacon instead of ham if you want)
- Add fresh cut basil to the pizza sauce.
- Roll out the pizza dough long and thin.
- I use a brush to brush the pizza sauce all over the pizza dough. Use everything in the pan!
- Add ham to one half of the pizza dough, and shredded mozzarella to the other half.
- Roll it up, nice and tight. Split into 12 rolls.
- Make sure you have a lot of shredded cheese. (if you are not sure shred some more)
- Get a baking plate with a baking paper. First layer is shredded cheese (a handful)
- This is optional but sprinkle a little cayenne pepper over the cheese.
- Place a roll on top of the cheese.
- Add mozzarella, and top with more shredded cheese. You could add fresh cut basil as well.
- Bake in oven for about 16 minutes.
Summary This is a simple and quick meal to make. It's best served with fresh herbs and mozzarella. They are huge and delicious!