As a child, my mother sometimes made pizza rolls. They were always delicious with lots of flavors. I now wanted to come up with my own family pizza roll recipe. I combined the best pizza ingredients into a fat juicy, flavorful pizza roll. Gouda, mozzarella, Parma prosciutto ham, and fresh garden cut Italian herbs.
Servings: 20 pieces
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 16 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1,5-2 hours
50 ml. olive oil
5 grams of fresh oregano
25 grams of fresh green basil
A half of a red onion
A half of a yellow onion
One can of chopped tomatoes
100 grams of tomato paste
50 grams of prosciutto ham
200 grams of shredded mozzarella
600 grams of double 0 flour
25 grams of fresh yeast
One teaspoon salt
50 ml. olive oil
350 ml. water
100 grams of shredded Gouda
25 grams of fresh mozzarella
- Start by adding olive oil and chopped onions to a medium hot pan.
- Then add in fresh cut oregano, a can of tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Let this sauce cook at medium heat for about 20 minutes. Make sure to stir now and then.
- Let’s make pizza dough while pizza sauce is cooking.
- Add flour, yeast salt, olive oil and hot tap water to a mixer bowl.
- Mix at low speed for 1 minute, then 4 minutes at maximum speed.
- When done mixing let it rest for 5-10 minutes, take dough off the hook.
- Cut prosciutto ham into strips. (You could use bacon instead of ham if you want)
- Add fresh cut basil to the pizza sauce.
Roll out the pizza dough long and thin.
- I use a brush to brush the pizza sauce all over the pizza dough.
- Add ham to one half of the pizza dough, and shredded mozzarella to the other half.
- Roll it up, nice and tight. Split into 12 rolls.
- Get a baking plate with a baking paper. The first layer is shredded cheese
- Add a little cayenne pepper over the cheese.
- Place a roll on top of the cheese.
- Add mozzarella, and top with more shredded cheese. You could add fresh cut basil as well.
- Bake for about 16 minutes.
Summary This is a simple and quick meal to make. It's best served with fresh herbs and mozzarella. They are huge and delicious!