ChefNorway’s Rolls Choice “Large Raisin Rolls”
- 1 kg white flour
- 2 tbsp. cardamom
- 150g sugar
- 6 dl. milk
- 100g yeast
- 150g butter
- 100g raisins
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp. hot water
For the US measurements click the button down below.
- Start by melting butter in a small casserole pot.
- When melted add in the milk and heat up to approximately 37-40oC (100-110oF) + (2 minutes should do it)
- Add flour, cardamom, sugar, and yeast in a mixer bowl.
- Pour in the butter and milk mixture.
- Use the “hook” tool and start the mixer at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Continue mixing at full speed for another 7 minutes.
- Add more flour if the dough gets too sticky.
- Take out of the bowl and let it rest on the kitchen counter for 15 minutes.
(There are several ways to make a roll and below I will give you direction to make one of the types. But you could always look for another one of my roll recipes and split the dough into 2 Then add the extra ingredients of your choice!)
- Flatten out the dough with your hands, and spread out the raisins on top.
- Fold in every corner, and roll it up to a large dough roll.
- Keep rolling it to a “bread ish” shape, before you cut it into about 18 pieces.
(You can use a kitchen weight to make sure they are similar in size.)
- Place 9 rolls on each baking sheet, with a baking paper at the bottom of the baking sheet.
- Let the rolls rise for about 30 minutes in a hot place.
(You could also insert a deep pan in the oven filled with water and turn the oven on at suggested temperature in the recipe. Unless you are privileged with a steam oven, this is how we trick our way to one. It takes about 30 minutes for the oven to heat up the water, start this part early. The pan should be placed at the very bottom of the oven.)
- Mix 1 egg + 2 tbsp. hot water, and brush the rolls with the mixture.
- Quickly get them into the oven. The rolls need about 17 minutes to bake. When the color is golden brown, they finished baking in the oven!
- Try to eat them within 2 hours, because they will lose their absolute freshness quickly!
Summary My favorite roll. it's simple, sweet and the texture with raisins fit my taste perfect. Probably the most popular in Norway and it's the best one to start your Norwegian roll baking with.