Whether it’s for Christmas, Easter, or even a breakfast buffet in Las Vegas, you’ll find people’s favorite is a honey glazed ham. Why go out and pay lots of money for it when you can quickly make it at home, and serve for any meal to friends and family. It’s one of those meals you can prepare a week in advance, and it will taste almost as good as a freshly baked one. With this recipe you cannot do too much wrong, it may seem like complicated, but I am very confident that you would be able to make it.
- 1- kg gammon ham
- 1 leek
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp. Whole pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200g brown sugar
- 250 honey
- Zest of 2 oranges
For the US measurements click the button down below
- Place the gammon with or without the straps into a large casserole pot. (The container needs to be large enough to cover the gammon with water)
- Cover gammon in water, and add roughly chopped leek, carrots, and onion
- Add cinnamon stick, and crushed whole pepper. (If you are making this for Christmas add a few bay leaves as well.)
- Bring to a boil, and let it slowly boil for two hours. Pay attention and refill with water, so gammon stays covered in water.
- After two hours take the gammon out of the pot, and start removing straps.
- Very lightly crisscross it with a sharp knife.
- Stick a bunch of cloves into the fat of the ham.
- Then get a small pot and add brown sugar, honey. (And zest of two oranges if it’s Easter ham)
- Bring to a boil, then turn off heat.
- Place the ham in a baking pan and slowly cover the ham with the sweet mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, cover the ham with the sweet mixture and bake again. Repeat in 5-minute intervals for 35 minutes.