Lemon ‘n’ Lime Mousse
It’s very similar to the Lemon mousse, but I’ve added lime. Gives it that sweet sourness. It’s a little different and maybe a right way to add another taste experience to a tasty dessert. It goes well after a pepper flavored dark meat meal. It will balance the taste in your mouth.
It’s quite heavy so watch your size in portions.
This dessert is gluten free.
- 3 dl. heavy cream
- 50g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 125g sugar
- Juice of half a lime
- Zest of 1 lime
- 5 gelatin plates
- 0.5 dl. hot water
- 2 egg whites
For the US measurements click the button down below.
- Start by adding heavy cream to a mixer bowl
- Add 50 g (1/4th cup) sugar to the heavy cream
- Start the mixer but pay attention. You want to stop when it’s got a smooth texture
- Leave in fridge until we use it later
- Separate egg yolks from whites
- Measure up sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add lemon and lime juice, egg yolks and lemon zest and mix it.
- Soak gelatin plates in cold water for 5 minutes. Remember to squeeze water out of them after.
- Bring 0.5 dl. (1/4th cup) Water to a boil. Turn off heat and add in gelatin plates. Mix gelatin with the water.
- Add this to the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add the smooth whipped cream, and egg whites.
- Finish by mixing everything for 1 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic. Cool in fridge.
Summary Great combination of sweet, sour and "sweet-sour" lime taste. A heavy dessert that takes no time to make. I'm sure you would ace this without much trouble. The need of very few ingredients makes it a low cost dish to make! It's also gluten free.