- 100g butter
- 3-4 tbsp. white flour
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6-8 dl. milk
- 2 tsp. sauce browning
- Fat from fried meatballs
For the US measurements click the button down below
- Melt butter and mix in “fat” from frying the meatballs.
- Make sure to brown the butter. You want a little-burned taste to this sauce.
- Add in white flour and whisk.
- Add 1-2dl ( a cup) of milk, and stir until it thickens. Repeat this action until it has a silky consistency.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add sauce browning.
- Add a little milk or heavy cream to thin the sauce.
If you want extra flavor, I would suggest using some bouillon cubes.
Summary The dark brown sauce is perfect with Norwegian meatballs. It's extra dark and a little spicy which isn't the usual sauce with this dish, but still I like this way better.