ChefNorway’s Rolls Choice, Vanilla Braided ”Kringle” Pastry
You’ve got to understand that Norwegians live for sweet rolls. Our local gas stations tempt us with a new version every month. Making them better and fresher than ever. I don’t think you can understand until you visit Norway. I don’t know if you have ever heard the word Kringle, but it’s more of a roll cake. We use the same roll recipe, but we’ll add ChefNorway’s Homemade Vanilla Cream, and I will teach you how to make it look fantastic. You have to make vanilla cream the evening before or early morning you start this. Or go to the store and buy some, but that will never taste as good!
|500g white flour|
|2 tbsp. cardamom|
|3 dl. milk|
|ChefNorway’s Homemade Vanilla Cream|
|1 egg + 2 tbsp. hot water|
- Start by melting butter in a small casserole pot.
- When melted add in the milk and heat up to approximately 37-40oC (100-110oF) + (2 minutes should do it)
- Add flour, cardamom, sugar and yeast to a mixer bowl.
- Pour in the butter and milk mixture.
- Use the “hook” tool and start the mixer at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Continue mixing at full speed for another 7 minutes.
- Add more flour if the dough gets too sticky.
- Leave it in the mixer bowl to rest for 15 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic, or a “kitchen” towel
- Flatten out the dough with a rolling pin. 40cmx20cm (16”x8”) in size.
- Add one line of ChefNorway’s Homemade Vanilla Cream, and try to fold the dough around it.
- Place it on a baking sheet with a baking paper under. Place it in the shape of the letter U.
- Turn baking plate with ends of the “U” towards you, and use a scissor to cut 4 cm (1.5”) cuts into the pastry. Move the cuts to each side, and continue all around the pastry. You will then have a nice braided look then.
- Brush the pastry with the egg and water mixture. I also like to add pearl sugar to the top.
Let the pastry raise for about 30 minutes in a hot place.
(You could also insert a deep pan in the oven filled with water and turn the oven on to suggested temperature in recipe. Unless you are privileged with a steam oven, this is how we trick our way to one. It takes about 30 minutes for the oven to heat up the water so start this part early. The pan should be placed at the very bottom of the oven.)
- Quickly get the pastry into the oven. It needs about 17 minutes to bake. When the color is golden brown it is done!
- Try to eat within 2 hours, because it will lose its freshness quickly!
- I sometimes add a border of sugar icing, but that is all up to you!
Summary Delicious sweet roll cake. The mixture between cinnamon, sugar and vanilla cream is almost perfect flavor balancing. Great with a cup of coffee. It taste as good as it looks!