Lamb & Cabbage or “Får I Kål was voted as the Norwegian National dish by the most popular radio show 40 years ago. It’s still very popular, and very healthy. Cabbage is probably one of the healthiest vegetables you could eat, and with delicious lamb this is a meal worth serving the entire family. Let the kids help you make it and you’d do it the true Norwegian way. It’s a very simple and easy recipe. Just add everything in the pot, and boil it for 2 hours.
Truth be told this is a very traditional dish in Norway. It’s like a few of the strange fish traditions where there’s suppose to be served with akvavit. It’s a flavored spirit that is principally produced in Scandinavia, where it has been produced since the 15th century. This to remove the cabbage taste. But then again there’s people who like cabbage!
|3 dl. water|
|1.5 kg lamb meat|
|1.5 kg cabbage|
|2 tsp. whole pepper corn|
|1 tsp salt|
|1 cinnamon stick|
For US measurments click this button
- Start by cutting cabbage into large chunks
- Add water to a large pot.
- Then add some meat with fat side down. It will prevent it from sticking or getting burned.
- Add cabbage and pepper
- Add in the rest of your meat.
- I like to throw in a stick of cinnamon as well.
- Season with some salt and pepper on top.
- Put the lid on and bring to a boil
- Then let it simmer for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with boiled potatoes.